IV. COMMON CHARACTERISTICS OF LEADERS WITH IDENTIFIED MISSION
Oswald Sanders :
Any ambition which centers around and terminates upon oneself is unworthy while an ambition which has the mission of God as its center is not only legitimate but positively praiseworthy.
A. COMMISSIONED LEADERS DECIDED TO PAY ANY PRICE NECESSARY TO ADVANCE TOWARD THE MISSION (I CORINTHIANS 9:24-26; ECCLESIASTES 5:3)
B. COMMISSIONED LEADERS MAINTAIN THEIR FOCUS ON THE MARK IN SPITE OF INCREDIBLE CONFLICTS (PHILLIPIANS 3:13-14)
C. COMMISSIONED LEADERS REACH OUT AND SEIZE THEIR MISSION BY FORCE IF NECESSARY (PROVERBS 24:3)
D. COMMISSIONED LEADERS COMPLETE SUCCESSFULLY THEIR GOD-ORDAINED MISSION (II TIMOTHY 4:7-11)
E. COMMISSIONED LEADERS ARE CHARACTERIZED BY POSITIVE BIBLICAL ATTITUDES
- The Champion’s Attitude
- The Conqueror’s Attitude
- The Overcomer’s Attitude
V. MISSION MINDED LEADERS AVOID WRONG THINKING
A. Victim Mode of Thinking
B. Sustainer Mode of Thinking
C. Dreamer Mode of Thinking
D. Controller Mode of Thinking
E. Adventurous Mode of Thinking
F. Positive Mode of Thinking
G. Rut Mode of Thinking
VI. MISSION MINDED LEADERS FACE CHANGE SUCCESSFULLY
A. Facing the Uncertainty of Change
B. Facing the Decisions of Change
- Decide to be flexible at all costs
- Decide to be advancing all the time
- Devise a strategy to advance to the leading edge of your calling
- Decide to be extraordinarily persistent
- Decide to be a risk taker
VII. MISSION MINDED LEADERS RISE TO THE CHALLENGE
A. David – A Leader Who Rises to the Challenge
- Responds to the challenge, not the problem (I SAMUEL 17:23-27)
- Does not allow himself to be shaped by circumstances, opinions, or criticisms of others (I SAMUEL 17:28-33)
- Lives by what God’s Word says, not be what he sees, hears or imagines to be true (I SAMUEL 17:29)
- Responds with courage to seemingly impossible challenges (I SAMUEL 17:31-37, 48)
B. Encouragement for Leaders Who Rise to the Challenge
- ISAIAH 41:8-9 I have not rejected you but have chosen you.
- ISAIAH 41:10 Fear not, I am with you. Be not dismayed.
- ISAIAH 41:10 I am your God.
- ISAIAH 41:10 I will strengthen you.
- ISAIAH 41:10 I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.
- ISAIAH 41:11-12 I will destroy all your enemies.
- ISAIAH 41:15 I will make you a sharp threshing instrument.
VIII. MISSION MINDED LEADERS ENJOY THE DISCOVERY OF MISSION
A. Discovering your mission will give purpose, meaning and challenge to your life.
B. Discovering your mission will bring a realization of self-worth to your life.
C. Discovering your mission will turn routine tasks into enjoyable experiences.
D. Discovering your mission will allow you to use all your resources to their greatest efficiency.
E. Discovering your mission will cause new areas of interest to begin to surface in your life.
F. Discovering your mission will cause you to devote all your energy to a definite goal.
G. Discovering your mission will strengthen the many-membered Body of Christ both locally and abroad.
H. Discovering your mission will motivate you to be a faithful steward of what God has placed in your life.