I. THE POSSIBILITY OF A FAULTY VISION
(JEREMIAH 14:14; 23:16; 27:9; 23:25-27)
A. VISION WITHOUT BIBLICAL INGREDIENTS
Vision should have biblical basis and a biblical foundation; is not only from your heart
B. VISION WITH HUMAN ORIGINATION, EMPOWERED BY HUMAN SPIRITS
Passions and dreams submitted to God’s Purpose. “…God’s ways are not our ways…”
C. VISION THAT OVERLY ACCOMMODATES CULTURE
Vision that is not longevity minded and changes when trends change. Vision has to balance of culture and influence.
D. VISION WITH TEMPORAL ELEMENTS
II. THE POWER OF FOCUS
A. THE FOCUS PRINCIPLE
- Focus on Maintaining Biblical Presupposition
- one divine plan and purpose of our God
- Focus on a Biblical Product
- understanding of biblical product is the heartbeat of the Church.
- Focus on Following Biblical Principles
- trends, fads, ideas, styles, opinions come and go, but Biblical Principles stay true and stay around!
LEADERSHIP MUST ARTICULATE A MISSION AND A SET OF VALUES THAT CAPTURE THE LOYALTY OF THE PEOPLE AND PROVIDE A SENSE OF DIRECTION
B. THE LENS THAT HELPS US TO FOCUS
- The Lens of Scripture
- The Lens of History
- The Lens of Prophecy
- The Lens of the Holy Spirit
III. THE POWER OF UNDERSTANDING GOD’S PURPOSE
(EPHESIANS 3:8-21; COLOSSIANS 1:24-29)
A. UNDERSTANDING THE ETERNAL PURPOSE OF GOD IS FOUNDATIONAL TO OUR LIFE VISION, OUR LIFE PHILOSOPHY AND OUR LEVEL OF COMMITMENT TO THE HOUSE OF GOD.
B. BECOMING A PURPOSE-DRIVEN LEADER – WITH JOSEPH INTEGRITY AND ANOINTED WITH THE ELIJAH SPIRIT
- Not driven by comparison or competition – Pauline theology
- these can create insecurity and division
- Not driven by what you see other ministries carry out
- Not driven by your own gifting, desires, dreams
- but rather submitted to the Purpose of God!
- Not driven by successful church visions
- Not driven by the winds of other’s opinions
- purposefulness is the clear and dominant sense of what one is seeking to carry out
- purposefulness provides a driving force, a compelling sense of urgency that generates and marshals energy.
- Not a leader who reverses the means and the ends
- Ends – ultimate goals
- Means – tools, instruments that help in accomplishing the Ends
- Formalism – how things seem
- Traditional-ism – what are we doing
- Institutional-ism – concern with maintaining institutions and not serving people